Friday, April 26, 2013

There's a reason it's so green here...

We're hanging out here in Fayetteville, Arkansas awaiting the start of Stage 2 of the Joe Martin Stage Race. The last two days we've been commenting on how pretty it is out here with the quiet, rolling roads and the beautiful green countryside. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise then that today it is currently pouring down rain with only 4 hrs to go to the start. Fingers crossed that the lightning/thunder passes on through so we can compete in one of the longest non-circuit road race courses that we do all year on the NRC calendar.
Day 1 went well for us. It's the one day of the year that I attempt to convince myself that I'm a mountain goat and not a plains buffalo. Every year I get slightly deflated at seeing my time/placing after the uphill TT and this year was no different. However, Haga continued to show his great form and rode to an impressive 2nd on the stage. Plus, we brought a very strong sprint team so it should be a fun race...if this weather can cooperate a little today.
A lot has happened since my last post. For one, the racing season started! In addition, I got to see and race in Portugal for the first time ever. I had a great time racing and seeing some sights in that cool little country. I would definitely recommend a visit if you're thinking of a European getaway!
Here, Salas poses on the wall of an incredibly cool castle where the 1st stage of the Volta ao Alentejo finished.
After all of that great racing and sightseeing in Portugal, I basically came home to this:
Boulder had record setting snowfall in the month of April at just under 4 feet! Makes it a little difficult to train consistently...especially if you're becoming more and more of a fair-weather trainer like me. ;-)
So, that's the condensed version of what's been happening the last 6 weeks or so. This week is Joe Martin, next week is Gila, and a few days of recovery before the big ol' Amgen Tour of California. Lots of great racing coming up!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad and the team did great at Ark. Getting ready for the Gila I bet? Good luck Tom sorry Doreen and I couldn't have made it to Ark to see you race. Don

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the TT U.S. Champnship Friday. We here in Iowa will all be pulling for you and watching the action from our computers.

Don H.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your National win. I'm so happy for you I've wanted this for you for a long time. Well deserved.

Congrats again

Don H.

Anonymous said...

Wow, stars and bars for a whole year. Congrats Tom. Is there a ITT at Elk Grove this year, so I can see that jersey?
Tim, Chicago

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your performance in the RR Tom. You made a great effort all day long and hung right in there for a good finish.

Don H.

Unknown said...

tom! so proud of you! kenny made a little announcement on your awesomeness on facebook today! yay for you! ;) love, your number #2 fan (because your number 1 fans are matt clemons and clan)

Anonymous said...

Another great showing for you at Philly. Doreen and I are looking forward to seeing you at Nature Valley.

Hoàng Trọng Duyệt said...

Thanks, very good
Phòng khám nam khoa Kim Mã