Friday, July 03, 2009

Fitchburg

Fitchburg has been a unique experience so far. After a 14 hr travel day due to delays and layovers, we got to our hotel 14 hours before race time. Not that I'm complaining, the J-M bros got in roughly 20 min. before the start and Vennell never even made it to the start due to cancelled flights. So after that rough start, we were greeted w misty rain and fog all day during the TT. At one point during my race, it was so foggy that I had to take off my sunglasses just to avoid the potholes and finish the course in one piece. A few hours after the race, the race organized a podium presentation at the Senior Center in Fitchburg. We ate spaghetti and homemade meatballs while listening to an accordian player. I found it very entertaining and unique. There were kids there as well, so we signed a few autographs and then they held a raffle for a couple jerseys and a bike! The little boy who won the bike was so shy that he hardly smiled while receiving his prize. But he did manage to mumble into the microphone that he'd be beating me in a few years on his new bike! It was a fun experience. The community seems excited to have us here (it IS the 50th edition of the race!) so I'm hoping the weather cooperates and caters to the viewers and fans.

2 comments:

Ian Stanford said...

Leading the NRC eh? Were you not a cat. 5 just a few years ago? Wheaties?
Hey, are you going to Clearlake? Just trying to figure out what I am doing this week, where I am driving, and where I have time to get to. Let me know.
What are you doing with all these jerseys?

Anonymous said...

Another great job and leading the NRC, awesome. Doreen and I just got back from 7 days of camping and canoing in the Boundary Waters. It was great. Looking forward to the Nationals and the Tour of M.

DonH